Welcome to Old Providence!
Explore where things used to be and sometimes still are…
- Browse historical buildings and locations in and around old Providence.
- Contribute your own photographs, stories, and research.
- Connect with others researching families and buildings in old Providence.
- Share your insights with the community by commenting on research provided by others.
- Discover Providence from a historical perspective, visualized through photos and maps.
PVDSigns - Old-Fashioned Signs Around Providence
Kay Belardinelli talks about PVDSigns
The Rhode Island COVID-19 Archive
In Rhode Island, the Providence Public Library and the Rhode Island Historical Society have joined to create the Rhode Island COVID-19 Archive.
Community Spotlight: Providence Preservation Society
The Providence Preservation Society (PPS) was established in 1956 to respond to the proposed demolition of a number of 18th- and early 19th-century houses on College Hill. Unlike many historic preservation organizations which were formed to preserve a particular building, PPS has always been an advocate for neighborhood revitalization. From that small neighborhood group, PPS has grown into a multifaceted citywide preservation and planning organization. Meet the director of preservation, Rachel Robinson!
A new partnership with an old friend
OldPVD.com and the Providence City Archives have united to offer up a fun and interesting way to explore old Providence: Old PVD - A to Z! The idea came from our friends at the Providence Preservation Society who are offering the ABC's of Architecture.